Monday 28 January 2013

COUNTDOWN TO SCHOOL...

Today we are going down to the school to get Griffin his Intermediate Uniform.  It's quite exciting... both of the kids will be in Intermediate this year.

Not little kids anymore.  Getting to be big kids!

I think they are both looking forward to school starting again.

*** warning...little rant ahead....


For me... I'm not really.   Sure I'd like them out from under me feet all day... but I'm not looking forward to the endless notices, fund raising activities, sausage sizzles etc.   Having to come up with money for this and that ALL THE BLOODY TIME.  

If it's not a mufti day requiring money, it's a sausage sizzle, or a gold coin donation for something or other, or money for trips, swimming, 'wet day', 'bike day', 'dress up day',  bla bla bla.  I've never known a school to have so many 'special days' that require us to pay for our child to participate in!

Does me head in.  This year I am going to keep a record of every single cent I am asked to cough up, and what for.


For a start, the uniforms.  We are urged to buy them THROUGH the school, not the uniform shop down in Manurewa.   The Manurewa shop is cheaper.  BUT the School tells us that the uniform they sell is the ONLY "Official" uniform available.   One has to wonder why they insist you buy the uniform from the school?


I am buying Griffin's Uniform from the school because I'm worried that they won't let him wear one bought from the Uniform Shop in Manurewa.  There will be some subtle difference between the two suppliers I'm thinking?


Next:  Stationery.  We are URGED to buy the 'Stationery Pack' from the school or it's 'Official Supplier'.  Last year I bought them, and Griffin used probably 4 of the exercise books in it.  We had all the other stuff like pencils, pens, rulers etc.


So this year I refuse to pay upwards of $50 for their 'Stationery Packs'.   I am going to insist on being given a list of what they need, and I will source it and buy what they actually NEED.  


The next hurdle will be meeting Griffin's teacher and finding out what he/she knows about Griffin's specific learning needs?  Is he going to be catered for within the class... or is he going to fall further behind because he cannot keep up?  This worries me so much.  Last year we were promised a Teacher Aide to help him within the classroom, but it never happened.


I got the impression (rightly or wrongly) that as I was taking him to private lessons with a Speld Teacher, they felt they didn't need to do anything with him.


I wish we had more options for his learning, but we don't. We are not rolling in the $$$$$'s enough to send or take him to a school that might cater to his needs better.

Clearly I made a huge mistake thinking getting the kids into a Decile 10 school would be good for them.
If I'd taken them to a lower Decile school, they would have been in a better position to help him, as a lower decile school gets more government funding for special needs etc.


I am hanging out for him to get to College, where he will most likely get more help. ???  I wish I knew what to do now though.  I can't see us taking them out of this school now, as it's where they are settled.  Dammit.

Right, time to snap out of it... here's some darling photos I took last night:



ABOVE:  Griffin was highly amused when Dante stuck his finger up his nose!  *smiles*

 ABOVE:  Darlings, both of them.

ABOVE:  While Griffin is very relaxed holding Dante (probably much to Bex's consternation), Brylee is a bit more like... shit, am I doing this right?  Will it break? 

ABOVE:  she does  love holding his though.  Dante... well he doesn't care. As long as he's fed when he's hungry, he's a dream baby.

Bex and Steve had amassed a HUGE amount of baby clothes for Dante, along with what they were given as gifts, and ... Dante has worn almost NONE of it!

He lives in a nappy and a very light muslin wrap.  That's IT.  

It has been so hot this summer he simply does not need any clothes on.


He's going to be shocked when he finally does need some clothes on, cos he is not used to them.


Right, off to start the day... 


ONWARD...


So... got half of Griffin's uniform today... have to go back on Thursday to get the shorts.  They didn't have any bigger sized ones there today.


Dropped all the 'old' toys down to Manurewa Hospice, went to Medlab to have my next blood tests, but once again it was full to max, so I'm going back this afternoon when it will be quieter.


Then (sorry Stew) I swung by Warehouse Stationery and got a couple more cube units for my sewing area.  They won't need to be assembled until we can use the garage again.  I hope that's not TOO long.


Lacy is here ... I think she's come over to do some housework???


No housework... but Lacy and I got one big job done... we sorted out the garage so I would start sewing again.... it took a while, but was worth it.

 ABOVE:  lots of room now.


 ABOVE:  I might even get Stew to assemble me new shelving too now.  Sorry Darling!


ABOVE: all the 'other stuff' that was still in the garage just got put in a neat row down the middle... access from both sides so all good.

I will be going down to Medlab shortly to get me blood test done.  Because it is a fasting test, I've not eaten today at all... and I can't say I'm even hungry yet!  It's almost 2 pm.


Lacy was having a right bitch of a time getting Keera to settle down this morning, so Brylee held her and she went to sleep!  Got these 'Awww' photos:




ABOVE:  Keera is really TALL for her age!  Brylee is now trapped there until Keera wakes up... lol.  Speak of the devil, she just woke after about an hour long nap.  I will take Lacy and Keera home now and get me blood test on the way back....


ABOVE:  I'm all hot and bothered, can ya tell?  *smiles*

BUGGER.  Still not had me blood test!  I got down there and there was STILL standing room only, masses of people waiting... so I left again.

I might try getting down there at 7 am tomorrow morning.  *sigh*

NOW I can eat me breakfast/lunch... at 3.20 pm.


End of Day:  nice afternoon.. till I had to cook dinner.  It's like a sauna in me kitchen.  But, a lovely dinner of chicken sausages, potatoe wedges and lettuce salad.  Very nice.

nite nite

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Diet Coke Rocks Design by O Pregador | Blogger Theme by Blogger Template de luxo | Powered by Blogger