Friday 11 January 2013

A VERY RUDE AWAKENING

1 am...

Bex got up at 1 am to visit the bathroom, and LUCKILY for us ... she heard a strange noise coming from the kitchen/family room area.

So she walked into the room.... then turned around and woke us all up!

WE WERE FLOODED... a tap under the kitchen sink had been knocked (most likely when we put the dishwasher in?)... not 100% sure about that... but still... it was disconnected from it's pipe and the water was POURING out at a great rate of knots.

It was really weird waking up and walking into water all over the floor... I think I was a bit stunned and like... what to do?  Where to start?








ABOVE:  I did want to wash the floor later on today.... but now I don't need to...  trying to find something positive out of this...


ABOVE:  that is water coming down the inside of the wall from up in the kitchen... right down into the garage.... and yes, that is Steve and Bex's mattress... it's sopping wet.


 ABOVE:  so the garage is flooded too... and there is water under all of Steve and Bex's stuff, and under all my sewing stuff, machines etc.


 ABOVE:  and YEP, under the stairs cupboard too.


ABOVE:  don't know where to start really. The men have moved a lot of stuff to the other side of the garage... away from the water.

ABOVE:  my lounge at 1.45 am.

I rang our Insurance Company at 1.30 am to ask for help.... we are still waiting to hear back from the company contracted to come and get us dry again....

I feel sick.  This is NOT a nice start to the day... if 1 am can be called a 'start' to the day.  

In the light of day... it looks worse.  There is a man here right now .... getting ready to start the 'drying out' process.  Which means big fans and big dehumidifiers... probably for days on end.
Worse.  Our entire wood laminate flooring has to be ripped up and replaced.  


ABOVE:  I don't know if you can see it properly, but the laminate is lifting and bubbling... kitchen, family room, stairs and front door area all have to be replaced.  This is going to be a nightmare.

ABOVE:  and the drying process begins.

All I wanted these past few weeks was some QUIET.  Now we have to listen to all the blowers and dehumidifiers going night and day.  If I go mad and start ranting and raving... bear with me... it will pass. *weak smiles*

We are supposed to pick Keera up this morning so she can see her Father at Sylvia Park... I do believe I will cancel that!

DONNA: the Insurance Company kicked in quickly because I rang them at 1.30 in the morning and told them we were wading in water!


ABOVE: our neighbours came out to talk, they thought we were having a Garage Sale to begin with... but fairly quickly realised that was not the case!

AND ... Steve went to work.... and they had a flood in their basement overnight too!!!  So Steve is cleaning up a flood at work, and we are cleaning up a flood at home.

WHOOP WHOOP!!!!
I'm this close to crying...  ok... ya can't see 'this close' and I am not searching for a picture either.... 

ONWARD...

WOMBAT:  we are undecided on whether our putting the new dishwasher in caused this flood or not.  The pipe that burst was the one that fed water to the water filtration tap on the bench.  
It does seem likely that Stew knocked it when he was connecting the dishwasher to the other taps.  Either way, it is covered by our Insurance policy... thank god!  Getting a 'professional' to install the dishwasher was not necessary, it only involved connecting the hoses and plugging it in!

Progress made so far today?
- Everything that can be moved out of the garage has been.

- We have hired a storage company to come and drop off a container. Then we can load everything into it and the company will come and collect it tomorrow and store it until we are ready to put it all back in the garage.  
THAT could be a while.

- Four phone calls to and from the Insurance and they have agreed to cover the storage costs.

- We paid the Insurance excess of $300 first thing this morning.  AND we are paying for the Storage until we can be reimbursed by our Insurance Company ... another $300.

- I have NOT killed anyone, or ripped me hair out.  YET.

- A Nana nap is called for ... and that will occur just as soon as my lunch has settled !

Lacy, Kelly, Rena and Keera have been over to give a hand, but now (1 pm) they are going home so we can 'relax'... holy hell... as if!
I'm off to have a rest.  It's desperately needed.

I lay down in Steve and Bex's room so I could listen out for when Dante woke up while Bex was out the front helping Stew.
It didn't take long for me to be woken up...   Dante had a 'POWER POOP' that was so loud he woke me up!  Amazing baby.  AND HE stayed asleep.  Men *sigh*, even the little ones are shits.     'shits'... ha ha ha!

5 pm:  and everything that can go into the storage container has been loaded in and locked.  It is being picked up by the Storage Company at 6 am tomorrow.
NOW all we have to do is put the furniture back into the family room, and await the arrival of the insurance assessor on Monday.  

Dinner tonight will be sausages and chips, quick and easy.  Everyone is knackered.  Maybe tomorrow will be our 'day of rest'?

End of a most shitty Day:  everyone is in bed.  I'm tired but as I had a 'nana nap' earlier, I'm not ready for bed.  I might have a late snack... I was too wound up to have dinner earlier.  
Fingers crossed we have fixed the leak and it never happens again.  
nite nite

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Diet Coke Rocks Design by O Pregador | Blogger Theme by Blogger Template de luxo | Powered by Blogger